Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cottage Pie

AKA Comfort Food 101!

I had actually never had this, and when I made it, I will say that I used the recipe more like a starting point. I altered it drastically!

I did not use instant potatoes. I love my red potatoes mashed way too much to trade in for instant.

As for the meat, I did brown the ground beef BUT I put some garlic powder and worcestershire sauce in with the meat and onions. I had 2.25 lb. ground beef bc it was just what I could find when I went shopping, and a medium-sized onion. Next time I plan on adding a little jar of sliced mushrooms in there too. And I didn't drain my meat. That would have washed away all my yummy garlic and worcestershire!

And the gravy, I have no idea where in the store jars of gravy are supposed to be, so I made my own with the brown gravy packet. I used one, but I think next time I will make two and probably use about a packet and a half overall.

Then I assembled ground beef/ gravy mix on the bottom and mashed potatoes on top and dotted with butter. Yumm-o for reals. And I'm making some crescent rolls to go with it because what comfort food isn't even better with those things? Seriously.

Cottage Pie starting point via EatatHomeCooks.com

I'll be back tonight to add my pic since it looks nothing like the other! (Ok, it's similar, but not the same. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment